Monday, September 16, 2013

How To Become A Junkie In One Click.

 
Looking for a fix? You're one click away. And it doesn't cost a thing. This isn't spam, this is the real deal... trust me, I clicked once and now I'm hooked.
 
The only requirement? Be a fan of car reviews, test drive, and news tidbits from the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s. Aching to see a comparison between all the hottest 1992 compact coupes? Itching to watch a commercial for the 1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera? Suffering withdrawl of AMC promotional videos from 1978? Satisfaction found:
 

This comprehensive website is the creation of a super car fan named Joel Ratts from the USA. He has compiled what has to be the most extensive collection of videos about test drives, comparisons, crash test, promos, commercials, concept cars, industry news and auto shows on the internet. I have had the chance to discuss a bit over email with Joel (who I have never had the pleasure of meeting), and he explained that his videos come from a vast collection of laserdiscs (google it, I had to!) he has amassed over the years.
 
He transfers the videos to digital files that he uploads to his site. The website is separated into the various categories I mentioned. You can search by vehicle name or manufacturer, or scroll through the drop-down lists to find exactly what you're looking for.
 
Or, if you're like me, you will head there not knowing what you're looking for at all, and instead stumble across forgotten gems that you hadn't thought of in ages! One great find for me was this video for the 1985 Oldsmobile Calais:
 
My first car was a maroon 1988 2-door Calais which was almost identical to the car in this video. A nostalgic car fan like myself can't get enough of this type of video, and it's also a good laugh taking a peek back to the 80's video quality, hairstyles and muscle shirts!

Joel really goes above and beyond to provide a super resource for car fans, as not only does he upload the videos, but even goes to the trouble of taking screen shots and providing a written summary of each video. The amount of effort he puts into his website is impressive, and it is my new favourite stop for my daily automotive fix.
 
One can see from the 'S-10 Baja' page on his site that Joel has his own personal addiction, the rugged off-road version of the Chevrolet S-10 compact pickup produced from 1988 to 1991. I haven't had the chance to watch the Baja videos yet, but I can tell already that it's a vehicle that I am really going to like!
 
I apologise in advance if I help create any addictions, but Testdrivejunkie.com is too good to not share! Skip school or work, take your phone off the hook, lock yourself in the basement if you need to, but take a look at this website!

EDIT:

After a month shutdown for maintenance, the site has been relaunched and better than ever! Check it out and become a Junkie...!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments?